Sunday, June 24, 2007

prayer

"I have come to the conclusion that when all is said and done, the only real prayer I can say is that of the blind beggar in the gospels, 'Lord Jesus, that I may receive my sight'. Let me see the real root cause of that spiritual sophistication which separates me from God. Let me see God's real presence encompassing me, enfolding me, always everywhere. Let me see wherever I am or whatever I am doing, whether I feel tired or excited, angry or amused, a success or a failure, fed up or enthusiastic, a bundle of nerves or calm and quiet, miserable or happy, optimistic or in despair, whatever it may be, let me see that all I have to do is to turn simply to God and say, 'Hello, it is me'. There is no need to stand on ceremony because I am at home in my Father's house. And there is no need to keep up appearances by pretending that I am a worse person than I am, or even a better person, because God knows what I am like infinitely better than I do myself. 'Hello, it is me, Your old friend and Your old enemy, Your loving friend who often neglects You, Your complicated friend, Your utterly perplexed and decidedly resentful friend, partly loving, partly hating, partly not caring. It is me'."


The Simplicity of Prayer, H. A. Williams, C.R.

2 comments:

thispresentsojourn said...

this is quite better than the offering of brothers B------y.

thank you.

Heather said...

how beautifully simple. thanks for sharing this.